Application Deadline Fast Approaching WBENC NextGen Pitch Competition through August 6. The NextGen Pitch Competition is an exclusive opportunity for millennial and gen-Z women entrepreneurs to elevate their business pitch. This multi-faceted program supports the next generation of women-owned businesses through pitch resources and coaching, promotion and exposure, and the opportunity to pitch and pursue business opportunities with Fortune 500 companies. The program culminates with a live pitch competition and the award of business grants for the winners. Contact WBENC at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS New Funding Opportunity Available for Economic Research on Small Businesses The Office of Advocacy is pleased to announce a new funding opportunity for economic research related to the economic impacts of the pandemic. The solicitation is available on SAM.gov here. Proposal submissions are open until Thursday, August 19. As an independent office within the Small Business Administration that evaluates policy analysis of small business impacts, disseminates small business statistics, and conducts research on small business issues, Advocacy’s mission includes researching the status and contributions of U.S. small businesses in the economy. To fulfill this task, Advocacy periodically funds research through the federal contracting process to produce reports that document the status of small businesses, increase knowledge and understanding of small business economic issues, and provide policymaking insight. For more information on Advocacy’s past research projects, visit https://advocacy.sba.gov/category/research/economic-reports/economic-studies/ Research on Small Business Topics Using Economic Data
- Resources for people with long COVID On the anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the White House released a collection of resources to support people with long COVID, including several from our Office of Disability Employment Policy.
- Rulemaking will ensure more protections for overtime and minimum wage The US Department of Labor is rescinding an earlier rule, “Joint Employer Status under the Fair Labor Standards Act,” that took effect in March 2020. By rescinding that rule, the department will ensure more workers receive minimum wage and overtime protections under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Small Business Administration
- SBA opens Paycheck Protection Program Direct Forgiveness Portal. The U.S. Small Business Administration will launch a streamlined Paycheck Protection Program forgiveness application portal to allow borrowers with PPP loans of $150,000 or less to apply for forgiveness directly through the SBA. On August 4, the portal will begin accepting applications from borrowers that have a PPP loan with a lender that has opted into the forgiveness portal.
Request for Feedback
- Federal Reserve Board announces that it is seeking individuals to serve on its Insurance Policy Advisory Committee https://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/pressreleases/other20210730a.htm
Tools You Can Use
- There is no one-size-fits-all system for hybrid work. So The Predictive Index created a new toolkit, which includes The Complete Hybrid Team Communication Guide to help you win the hybrid workplace. Some employees may return to an office full-time, while others will continue to enjoy the flexibility afforded by remote work—and our new default mode of leading should account for people no matter where they are. Whether you’re communicating via Slack, email, Zoom, Asana, or in-person meetings, this guide will help you communicate well as a hybrid team.