We all know all this information is still unfolding daily so we urge you to review other resources so you can make the most informed decisions for your situation.
- In honor of National Black Business Month the U.S. Black Chambers (USBC) has partnered with Google to release a first of it’s kind “Black-owned” virtual badge, which helps consumers easily identify Black-owned businesses when using Google Search and Google Maps. To Add the Badge to Your Google Business Profile, Visit: Google My Business Help Center
- Wednesday August 5 | 7:00pm – 8:30pm CT: Online Fundraiser for the Innocence Project with guest speaker Huwe Burton, exonerated on January 24, 2019, after serving 19 years in prison for the wrongful conviction of murdering his mother. Hosted by Dr. Dana Wells, firstname.lastname@example.org. Donate Online.
Small Business Administration
- The Paycheck Protection Program is a loan designed to provide a direct incentive for small businesses to keep their workers on the payroll. SBA will forgive loans if all employee retention criteria are met, and the funds are used for eligible expenses. The deadline to apply for a Paycheck Protection Program loan is August 8, 2020. Learn More
- Did you know that SBA’s Lender Match tool connects small businesses with Community Development Financial Institutions, Minority Depository Institutions, Certified Development Companies, and other lenders? If you’re considering a Paycheck Protection Program loan, get matched with a participating lender today. Get Matched
- Small businesses are playing a big role during the COVID-19 pandemic, providing essential services to their communities. Food producers have been especially pivotal during this time, continuing to offer goods to consumers through retailers and restaurants – and directly to community members via farmers markets. While farmers markets may look a little different this summer, these centers of commerce have largely continued to be staples of their communities. Farmers markets contribute about $9 billion to the U.S. economy every year, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). The Farmers Market Coalition (FMC) says that the number of farmers markets in the U.S. has grown from just under 2,000 in 1994 to more than 8,600 today. Learn More
- Wednesday August 19 | 1:00pm ET SBA Military Spouse Entrepreneur Summit. Join the Second Lady of the United States, Mrs. Karen Pence, the U.S. Small Business Administration, and Hiring Our Heroes for the Military Spouse Entrepreneur Summit on August 19. This virtual event features remarks from distinguished guests, military spouse small business owner spotlights, and discussions about key resources that all military spouse entrepreneurs should leverage. Register Today
- The Office of Governor Ned Lamont & the state has launched ct.gov, a one-stop business portal that consolidates information, resources and requirements from multiple state agencies.
- The Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC) Small Business Relief Grants, for small businesses facing immediate financial pressure because of Covid-19, Round 5 application period is now open. Your application must be completed by Monday, August 3rd, 11:59 p.m. ET. Apply here
- The Hunterdon County Chamber of Commerce and Hunterdon County Economic Development continue to maintain our shared COVID-19 Resources for Business Page. The site is updated daily with new information to help businesses find:
- Federal and State Business Grants & Loans, including links to FAQ, Applications and local resources County and State Partnering Organizations
- Toolkits to help in the process of reopening
- Webinars from several Public, Private, Non-Profit
- Organizations at the local, state and federal level
- News releases…..and more!
Please visit the site to keep current as New Jersey begins to re-open.
- Wednesday August 12 | 9:00am Virtual Meet the Mayors & Members of the 78/22 Coalition sponsored bu the Hunterdon County Chamber of Commerce.
- NYS Comptroller Thomas P, DiNapoli released the annual value of the state pension fund for 2020. Like investors around the world, the fund was hurt by the COVID-19 pandemic, ending the fiscal year on March 31 with a value of $194.3 billion based on a -2.68-investment return. On the positive side, the fund remains one of the nation’s strongest and has seen a swift recovery during the second quarter as markets improved.
- Wednesday August 12 | 10:00am – 11:45am. “Helping Immigrant- and Minority-Owned Small Businesses in Queens’ Hardest-Hit Neighborhoods Recover from the Pandemic” a Center for an Urban Future (CUF) virtual policy symposium. Please join us for this live-streamed event, which is generously supported by HSBC. Confirmed speakers include:
- Congresswoman Grace Meng, United States House of Representatives
- Councilmember Francisco Moya, New York City Council
- Quenia Abreu, President & CEO, New York Women’s Chamber of Commerce
- Nancy Carin, Executive Director, Business Outreach Center Network
- Maria Lugo, Owner, Who’s Papi Tires by Papi
- Alethia Mendez, Vice President, Operations & Strategy, Grameen America
- Alejandro Osorio, Owner, Arepa Lady
- Marie Pedraza, Vice President, Sr. Regional Community Development Manager, HSBC
- 2020 Inner City Capital Connections Program Looking for Nominations! The Deadline for nominations is Tuesday, August 4, 2020!
The Inner City Capital Connections (ICCC) Program, a tuition-free executive education program that helps small business owners in under-resourced communities build capacity for sustainable growth and survive the economic impact of the COVID-19 crisis. The 2020 ICCC program will focus on short-term crisis management and resilience to help business owners survive, recover, and grow, and I strongly encourage you to take advantage of this free resource by applying here to participate!
The ICCC Baltimore program begins with a virtual two-day Opening Seminar series the afternoons of Tuesday, September 15th and Thursday, September 17th, followed by online webinars and one-on-one coaching, and culminates with a semi-virtual National Conference in late 2020. The program covers key topics in business recovery strategies and capital relief solutions and is free of charge for all participants! You can learn more about the program here. For more information, contact Dustin Farris at email@example.com.
- 2020 DPW Small Business Development Growth by Design Training Program hosted by Baltimore City Department of Public Works Enrollment is Now Open!!!
The Baltimore City Department of Public Works (DPW) proudly announces open enrollment for the 2020 DPW Small Business Development (SBD) Growth by Design Training program at a minimum cost this fall to participants who are interested in learning about how to do business with the City.
The SBD Growth by Design Training Program has been completed by 240 small business owners of their employees since 2016. More that 40 businesses have been MBE/WBE certified, 44 have been pre-qualified to work with the City, and more than $3 million in contracts and related services have been awarded to graduates of this program.
This signature Training Program is slated to begin September with an opening ceremony at Morgan State University. Due to COVID-19 there may be limited in-person training, The team is currently evaluating offering alternative, interactive online classes consistent with our past training course.
- Tuesday August 4 | 9:30am – 10:30am: Live Hotsheet Webinar “Where is the Money Part VIII. A Fireside Chat with IT subject matter experts to discuss Cybersecurity Requirements for the Federal Government hosted by Capital Region Minority Supplier Development Council Business Consortium
This will be a discussion with DoD’s CISO, Katie Arrington, who is leading the change to CMMC. Learn what CMMC is and why the Department of Defense has proposed enforceable and auditable cybersecurity standards that large and small contractors will have to meet in the near future.The discussion will also be joined by Matt Vepraskas of Leidos, and Mark Evans and Michael Cardaci of Share Tech Solutions Strategic Partnership to discuss how companies can prepare to make the shift.
The webinar will address topics such as:
- How implementation plans and audit procedures will be facilitated
- The five distinct certifications, or levels, of the CMMC
- How CMMC will change acquisition culture in DoD and in major federal government contractors
- How to prepare for CMMC certification
To view flyer, click here
To register, click here
- Thursday August 6 | 1:00pm – 2:00pm: Entrepreneurship Matters: Zoom Webinar hosted by Johns Hopkins University, Johns Hopkins Health System, HopkinsLocal, and Mayor’s Office of Small Minority and Women Business. Please join us as up and coming and established entrepreneurs share their stories.
Moderator: Alicia Wilson, Vice President – Office of Economic Development for the Johns Hopkins University and Johns Hopkins Health System.
More details to follow.
- Friday September 25 | 7:30am – 12:30pm: 17th Annual Spring Breakfast Meeting / Business Showcase Expo hosted by Md. Washington Minority Companies, Inc. (MWMCA)
Martin’s West, 6817 Dogwood Road, Baltimore, MD 21244
Network with top leaders and decision makers. Supplier diversity leaders will be honored for their outstanding achievements. Meet over 80 exhibitors representing prime construction, healthcare, utilities, education, government and more. Learn how to do business with prime companies and government agencies. Learn more information about Minority/Women-Owned Business Certifications.
To view list of honorees, click here
Event information, click here
To register, click here
For sponsorships and event questions, contact MWMCA at firstname.lastname@example.org or 443-759-8580.
Partner Organization Offerings
- GWBC: Thursday August 6 | 3:00pm ET Cybersecurity 101: Defining Basic Security Teams & How To Apply Them To Your Security Team. Donna Gallaher of New Oceans Enterprises joins us to talk about the basic understanding of cybersecurity. She will break down the specifics of what you need to know for your security systems. Register
- Wednesday August 5 | 1:00pm – 1:45pm: [Expert Panel Webinar] Virtual Events in the Real World.
With the ability to meet in person severely restricted or eliminated altogether, organizations have had to shift to virtual or digital events. Fonteva is excited to share the insights of three events trailblazers who are at the forefront of this transition. Our expert panelists have conceptualized, planned, and executed a variety of virtual events and will be discussing a range of topics including:
- How to identify stakeholders and objectives
- The impact and requirements of technology
- Best practices to manage costs and resources
- Pre-show tips to ensure smooth show operation
- Thursday August 20 | Streaming All Day: Prepare for the New Future of Hiring. 2020 is changing the way we work. And that means we have to change the way we hire. That’s why we’re partnering with GoodHire to bring you a free virtual summit to help you adapt to a new way of hiring. Register to get your all-access pass and start streaming on-demand on August 20. Listen to thought leaders share:
- Fresh approaches to talent acquisition
- Strategies to diversify your talent pipeline
- Risk mitigation strategies to adapt your return-to-work plans
All sessions will also be available for SHRM credit.
- September 21 – 25 | 1:00pm – 3:00pm ET Each Day: Small Business Owners Growth Summit sponsored by PostcardMania. Free Virtual event (normally $397 for clients) for any business who wished to participate! Led by industry experts with PROVEN track records of success. We’ll cover everything you need to know about direct mail, email marketing, Google and social media marketing, online reviews, website design, and more. See detailed agenda here.
- Distance Learning Is Inevitable. How Could It Serve Working Parents Better? Race relations and education are both problems in this country. Let’s use the pandemic to improve both.
- [Video Interview] Let’s Talk Talent: Team cohesion – PI’s SVP of Product, Matt Poepsel, shares how to resolve conflict and build cohesion in times of stress.
- [Podcast] Setting boundaries with your colleagues – Alyssa Dver of the American Confidence Institute and PI’s Drew Fortin discuss how to say “no” to colleagues.
- [Blog] 58 interview topics that will help you find the best candidates – As you look to hire, here are some interview topics to promote a more inclusive process.
- [Blog] 6 short virtual icebreakers designed to keep teams engaged – Looking to keep meetings productive, yet light? Try one of these six icebreaker activities.
- How to manage team conflict – Have you struggled with team dynamics or conflict? Do you wonder if some teams are just doomed to fail? Learn what causes conflict and how to resolve conflict effectively in this free course.
- How to improve employee performance – 34% of executives say employee performance keeps them up at night. If you lose sleep over it, too, this course is for you. Understand the motivations and science behind what makes your team tick and learn how to inspire them to greatness.