- In celebration of Women’s History Month, NWBC invites you to join a fireside chat featuring Chair Liz Sara and Council Member Nicole Cober. This insightful discussion will highlight key trends in women’s business enterprise and cover notable, free resources to help you start and scale your business. Women own or co-own 45% of all businesses in the United States. These businesses represent a wide range of industries and are owned by women from all walks of life. The majority are small, with great potential for growth in both revenues and job creation. Register Now!
- On February 4, 2021, The National Women’s Business Council (NWBC) released its 2020 #LetsTalkBusiness Roundtable Series Report, a collection of testimonials from women entrepreneurs on current challenges and opportunities associated with access to capital, childcare, and patenting and trademark. After the successes of the 2019 Women in Small Business Roundtable Series, the Council rebranded the initiative and continued hosting policy discussions through 2020. The #LetsTalkBusiness Roundtable Series launched in San Juan, Puerto Rico just before the onset of COVID-19. Participants highlighted women business owners’ role in catalyzing an economic recovery following recent natural disasters and shared effective methods to increase female founders’ access to growth capital.
- (USDOL) OSHA is enhancing COVID-19 worker protections OSHA is conducting a COVID-19 national emphasis program focused on high-risk industries and employers that retaliate against employees who complain about workplace hazards.
- (USDOL) New grants will expand and diversify registered apprenticeships We are making $87.5 million available for states to expand and diversify their registered apprenticeship programs. States can also apply for new equity and innovation grants to expand apprenticeships, ranging from $2 million to $10 million.
- Retail Business Services Partners with Other Ahold Delhaize USA Companies, Venture Café Cambridge to Launch Third Annual Start-Up Immersion Program
March 16, 2021 – Applications Open
May 31, 2021 – Applications Close
May 31 – June 30, 2020 – Application Review and Selection
July 1, 2021 – Announcement of Finalists
July 8, 2021 – Program Starts (mentor matching & bi-weekly coaching)
September 16, 2021 – Supply Chain Innovation Conference
- As part of its continued support for small businesses and U.S. manufacturing, Walmart announced this morning that the application process for the company’s eighth annual Open Call is now open. The deadline to apply for participation in this year’s virtual event is April 30. The event will be held June 30. The application and additional information about the event are available here. Earlier this month, Walmart announced a new commitment to spend an additional $350 billion on items made, grown or assembled in the United States. It’s estimated that this spend will support more than 750,000 new American jobs. Walmart’s Open Call is one way in which the company supports this commitment.
Small Business Administration
- The U.S. Small Business Administration is launching a splash page for the Shuttered Venue Operators Grant (SVOG) application portal today in anticipation of opening applications for the much-anticipated critical economic relief program on Thursday, April 8, 2021.
- The U.S. Small Business Administration announced extended deferment periods for all disaster loans, including the COVID-19 Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL) program, until 2022.
- All SBA disaster loans made in calendar year 2020, including COVID-19 EIDL, will have a first payment due date extended from 12-months to 24-months from the date of the note.
- All SBA disaster loans made in calendar year 2021, including COVID-19 EIDL, will have a first payment due date extended from 12-months to 18-months from the date of the note.
Existing SBA disaster loans approved prior to 2020 in regular servicing status as of March 1, 2020, received an automatic deferment of principal and interest payments through December 31, 2020. This initial deferment period was subsequently extended through March 31, 2021. An additional 12-month deferment of principal and interest payments will be automatically granted to these borrowers. Borrowers will resume their regular payment schedule with the payment immediately preceding March 31, 2022, unless the borrower voluntarily continues to make payments while on deferment. It is important to note that the interest will continue to accrue on the outstanding balance of the loan throughout the duration of the deferment.
- SBA webinars:
Mon. March 22, 2021 at 12:30pm (SBA and Tech Incubator at Queens College) PPP Forgiveness Application Forms and Rules
Wed. March 24, 2021 at 3pm (US Department of Transportation, Northeast Small business Transportation Resource Center at LaGuardia Community College)
Yes! You can Get Bonded, too https://www.eventbrite.com/e/yes-you-can-get-bonded-too-tickets-142772198489
Thurs. March 25, 2021 at 12:00pm (SBA and Manhattan Chamber of Commerce) How to Start a Business https://app.livestorm.co/p/9233a5ab-60d7-48e0-935a-61b1bd392623
- The Minority Business Development Agency is now accepting proposals for the MBDA Federal Procurement Center Project. We invite you to review the full announcement, learn more about eligibility, funding, and locations. To get started:
Review the full Notice of Funding Opportunity announcement
Register for the Pre-Application Conference on March 22, 2021 2:00pm – 3:00pm. For registration, please visit https://go.usa.gov/xsHJm.
View the video and resources for helpful tips on MBDA Grant Competition Submissions
Submit your proposal on Grants.gov by 11:59 pm, Eastern Time on April 17, 2021
- Tuesday March 23 | 3:00pm ET Fifth 2021 Enterprising Women Business Roundtable Series. Featuring 28 members of the Enterprising Women Advisory Board leading roundtable discussions via Zoom on their topics of expertise! Sessions will be hosted every two weeks through July 2021. Moderators will present 10 minutes of valuable content and then lead 20 minutes of roundtable discussion and Q & A, followed by a second moderator presenting 10 minutes of content followed by 20 minutes of discussion and Q & A.
- Wednesday March 23 | 12:30pm HST Getting SBA Certified as a Woman-Owned Small Business: Opening New Doors of Opportunity. In celebration of Women’s History Month, hear from industry experts in this free online seminar on the benefits and steps to becoming certified as a woman (or minority) owned small business (WOSB.MOSB).
- Wednesday March 24 | 2:00pm ET Welcome to the New Workplace: Making it Work hosted by Verizon. New interactive webinar: Explore how to support your remote employees’ well-being. Speaker: Seth Mattison, Founder and CEO of FutureSight Labs, and a renowned expert on workforce trends and generational dynamics. Host: Ramon Ray, an entrepreneur, author and speaker, as well as the founder of Smart Hustle Media.
- Thursday March 25 |10:00am PT Successful Strategies for the Hybrid Workplace. Now that we’re getting closer to managing this pandemic, it’s time to prepare to return to the office. With solutions for every workspace, DTEN and Zoom are perfectly positioned to help. New updates to Zoom and Zoom Rooms, paired with DTEN all-in-one devices create modern, productive work environments that foster seamless collaboration and communication while maintaining safe distances. Please join us on a deep dive into the latest updates from Zoom and DTEN that enable the safe and productive return to the office.
- Thursday March 25 | 1:00pm EDT It takes a lot of ambition to get a small business off the ground. But you don’t have to do it alone. In the next webinar of UPS’ “Be Unstoppable®” series— 4 Growth Secrets to One Startup’s Success —you’ll hear how cutting-edge clothing brand Ministry of Supply went from startup to success with support from leading e-commerce marketing platform Yotpo, a UPS® Digital Connections partner.
Join Ayana Green, UPS Vice President of SMB Strategy and Revenue Channels, Ministry of Supply CEO Aman Advani, and Yotpo Strategic Alliances Manager Kevin Lindberg as they discuss how to:
Turn customer content into sales by collecting and leveraging reviews, ratings, and Q&A
Integrate customer photos and videos to engage buyers and enhance branding
Get an array of solutions from UPS® Digital Connections partners at discounted rates
For the first 1,000 participants of the webinar, Ministry of Supply is offering a $125 Men’s or Women’s Aero Zero Shirt for just $15 (to cover shipping and handling), while supplies last. Tune in to the webinar for details. REGISTER NOW!
Tools You Can Use
- Are you ready to return to the office? Learn how powerful and innovative NEW Solutions from DTEN and Zoom can help navigate a safe return to work for employees, customers and clients; meet the challenges of a hybrid work environment that supports team collaboration and remote workers and manage in-office and personal shared spaces. Learn More.