We all know all this information is still unfolding daily so we urge you to review other resources so you can make the most informed decisions for your situation.
Watch Past WPEO Lunch with the Experts Webinars and Virtual Events
- Alternative Funding for Business Owners – April 14, 2020
- Download the presentation here.
- If Cash is King or Queen, Where is it Now? – April 21, 2020
- Cybersecurity is Critical for Business: You Ready? – April 28, 2020
- Resources from this presentation:
- Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Cyber Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA), the parent agency for the U.S. Computer Emergency Response Team (US CERT), has a variety of resources for businesses, including free security awareness and training resources here.
- Resources from this presentation:
- Virtual Brown Bag with Commonwealth Capital Corp. – April 22, 2020
- Meet Commonwealth Capital Corp. representatives and get the inside story on how to successfully navigate their procurement process. Hear from:
- Kimberly Springsteen-Abbott, Chief Executive Office
- Mark Crain, Chief Procurement Officer
- Denise Pugliese, Regional Vice President – Business & Assistant Vice President – Supplier Diversity Manager
- View the presentation slides here.
- Meet Commonwealth Capital Corp. representatives and get the inside story on how to successfully navigate their procurement process. Hear from:
- GSA Consolidated Schedule: The Facts You Need To Know – May 6, 2020
- View the presentation here.
Small Business Administration
- SBA to Make Economic Injury Disaster Loans Available to U.S. Agricultural Businesses Impacted by COVID-19 Pandemic – Read the press release here.
- The U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) invites small business and workers to participate in the DOL’s “Opening America’s Workplaces Again National Online Dialogue.” Through this dialogue, the public can play a key role in helping to reopen America’s workplaces safely. The public – including employers, workers, local authorities and advocacy groups – is invited to share ideas on six topics:
- Reopening businesses;
- Commuting safely;
- Working safely;
- Accommodating members of vulnerable populations;
- Supporting America’s families; and
- Reducing regulatory burdens.
Ideas and feedback collected during the dialogue will be used by the DOL as it continues to develop compliance assistance materials and guidance for workers and employers, and will be shared with policy-makers at the federal, state and local level as they develop and refine plans on reopening America’s workplaces. The comment period ends May 7, 2020. Please join the dialogue to submit your ideas, votes, and comments to DOL. Visit https://OpeningWorkplaces.IdeaScale.com to learn more and register for the dialogue today! Advocacy Contact: Janis Reyes, Janis.Reyes@sba.gov
- The SBA is hiring temporary employees to assist with disaster relief efforts during these unprecedented times. The positions include:
- Call Center Customer Service Representative
- Document Preparation/Legal Review/Loan Closings
- Loan Processing/Credit Analysis/Mortgage Underwriting
- Program Support
- Joint Statement by Secretary Steven T. Mnuchin and Administrator Jovita Carranza on the Review Procedure for Paycheck Protection Program Loans
U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven T. Mnuchin and U.S. Small Business Administrator Jovita Carranza issued the following statement on the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP):
“The Paycheck Protection Program is providing critical support to millions of small businesses and tens of millions of hardworking Americans.
“We have noted the large number of companies that have appropriately reevaluated their need for PPP loans and promptly repaid loan funds in response to SBA guidance reminding all borrowers of an important certification required to obtain a PPP loan. To further ensure PPP loans are limited to eligible borrowers, the SBA has decided, in consultation with the Department of the Treasury, that it will review all loans in excess of $2 million, in addition to other loans as appropriate, following the lender’s submission of the borrower’s loan forgiveness application. Regulatory guidance implementing this procedure will be forthcoming.
“We remain fully committed to ensuring that America’s workers and small businesses get the resources they need to get through this challenging time.”
- Employee Retention Credit – CARES Act (FAQs). The IRS has posted updated Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) to IRS.gov providing answers regarding the Employee Retention Credit under the CARES Act. The Employee Retention Credit under the CARES Act encourages businesses to keep employees on their payroll. The refundable tax credit is 50% of up to $10,000 in wages paid by an eligible employer whose business has been financially impacted by COVID-19.
- Join Antonio Doss, District Director of the Washington Metropolitan Area District Office of the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA), as he and his team conduct another in a series of weekly webinars to discuss the financial tools and resources available to help small businesses and non-profits endure these uncertain times.
- Get answers to questions like these and more:
- Which SBA programs do I qualify for through the CARES Act and how can they help me sustain my operations? What are my options if I’m a sole proprietor or an independent contractor? What is the status of the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) and Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL)/EIDL Advance program? Who can help me develop, adjust, or rework my business plan?
- What: Coping with COVID-19 Webinar: SBA Updates on CARES Act Programs
- When: Friday, May 8, from 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm (EDT)
- Where: Live webinar
- How: The conference begins at 2:00 pm (EDT) on Friday, May 8, 2020. You may join the conference 10 minutes prior.
- STEP 1: Dial into the conference. Dial-in: 1-877-369-5243 or 1-617-668-3633 Enter Access Code: 0277060##
- STEP 2: Join the conference on your computer.
- Entry Link: https://ems8.intellor.com/login/826108When you access the entry link above, you will be provided a choice — either to install the WebEx plug-in for your preferred browser OR to join the web conference using a temporary path. Either option is acceptable.
- Need assistance with your audio? Please dial 888-796-6118.
- Need assistance with your Webex? Please dial 888-793-6118.
- Don’t Forget to Respond: 2020 Census Reminder Postcards Arriving. The U.S. Census Bureau is beginning to send reminder notice postcards to an estimated 69 million households that have not yet responded to the 2020 Census. About 53.4% of households across the country have already responded since invitations began arriving in mailboxes on March 12. Those households that have not yet responded to the census will receive an in person visit by a census taker to collect their information later this summer.
- Public Private Strategies is conducting a 2 – 5 minute Small Business Caregiving Survey to help better understand what it is like for business owners and their employees who are balancing caregiving amid the crisis. For the purpose of this survey, a working caregiver is defined are caring for a child, spouse, or a parent in addition to their additional responsibilities at work.
- Blackbaud Grantmaking is making grant applications easier with Guidestar for Grant Applications (G4G), allowing grant seekers to pre-fill information directly from their Guidestar profile? This eliminates duplicative-data entry and streamlines the grant application process.
- Be aware that effective May 1, 2020 the Form I-9 revised on 10/21/19 is the only acceptable version of the I-9 form that employers can use.
The paper version is available at: https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/i-9-paper-version.pdf?download=1
The electronic version can be accessed at: https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_force/files/form/i-9.pdf?download=1
- The National Women’s Business Council (NWBC) has implemented a sub-series of its #WebinarWednesday series, which focuses on the available COVID-19 resources for women business owners and entrepreneurs. The first webinar, Learn How to Navigate the COVID-19 Stimulus Package, was held on April 22, 2020.
The webinar helped break down the available federal relief for venture-backed startups. Experts from the U.S. Small Business Administration, JP Morgan, and Graphite Financial discussed available resources, lending options, and how to document your requests. NWBC’s next webinar will be held on May 20, 2020. Registration details will be made available in the coming days! Please visit NWBC’s website for upcoming webinars and virtual events.
- PEAK Grantmaking’s PEAK 2020 Online Virtual Conference starts Tuesday, May 5! Blackbaud Foundation Solutions is a sponsor and presenter for this monthlong virtual conference bringing hundreds of grant management professionals together online for a series of learning and networking events. Please see the full agenda and register here.
- Wednesday May 6 | 2:00pm ET | On-Boarding Remote New Hires presented by Monster. In this 30-minute webinar, you’ll hear from Kaelyn Phillips, Director of Global Talent Development at Monster, on how to efficiently on-board new hires during a time where employees are asked to work remotely. REGISTER.
- Thursday May 7 | 1:00pm – 2:00pm ET | Anticipating and Preparing for COVID-19 Employment Litigation presented by Nukk-Freeman & Cerra, PC. Register.
- Friday May 8 | 11:00am – 12:00pm ET | Understanding Business Interruption Insurance Claims During COVID-19 presented by Grassi Advisors & Accountants. You have insurance coverage, but will it provide coverage for your COVID-19 losses? Click here to register for this important conversation.
- Wednesday May 12 | 1:00pm ET | Egencia Fireside Chat Webinar Series: Relaunching Business Travel After Covid-19. Key Takeaways:
- Hear a three-step approach for relaunching travel programs
- Learn how to address travelers’ safety concerns when they return to the road
- Use this opportunity to redefine business travel policy and increase compliance
- Wednesday May 12 | 2:00pm – 3:00pm ET | Why Being Human-Focused Matters Now More Than Ever presented by Higher Logic on strategies on how your organization can empower transformation, in light of the COVID-19 crisis. Register.
- The Office of Governor Ned Lamont provides updates on Connecticut’s Coronavirus Response Efforts. View the live briefing daily: https://bit.ly/2Wtak71
- Teleworking During COVID-19 Webinar Series presented by CT Rides
COVID-19 poses new challenges for employers. Teleworking has taken on a new importance. This four part webinar series provides employers and employees 40 years of professional telework experience to help navigate this situation. These webinars offer practical advice, strategies, and policy recommendations to help maintain productivity during this time of social distancing. Webinar series available here.
- The New York City Council will hold a “virtual” public hearing on these bills next week: Wednesday, May 5 at 10:00 AM. Please register to testify (via Zoom or over the phone) or submit written comments on how these bills might affect your business during this crisis. Register to Testify.
- The MTA has released a MWDBE/SDVOB COVID-19 Toolkit and Business Resource Guide as a toolkit for MTA contractors.
- Comptroller DiNapoli Announces Joint Effort With Ulster, Orange County District Attorneys to Combat COVID-19 Scams New York State Comptroller Thomas P. DiNapoli, Orange County District Attorney David M. Hoovler and Ulster County District Attorney David J. Clegg announced their offices will be coordinating with each other, as well as with other law enforcement officials, to protect the public from COVID-19 related internet scams.
- NYC Comptroller’s Office continues its weekly webinar series Resources for Small Business and M/WBEs Impacted by COVID-19 Tuesday and Thursday at 11:00am EST via Zoom.
- ACCEPTING BIDS: Coastal Gunite Construction Company – MTA Contract No. FT-3010-0000; Repair to Concrete Wall and Replacement of 15kV Cable and Conduit
Bids Due Friday, May 22, 2020 at 5 pm
- The Baltimore City’s Mayors Office of Small Minortiy and Women Businesses has published and updated calendar of upcoming events.
- Montgomery County Delivers on Donations to Nursing Homes and Long-Term Care Facilities. The County is committed to steadfastly supporting its more than 300 long-term care facilities with personal protective equipment. Since March 25, more than 240 deliveries have been made. Those deliveries to nursing homes, large assisted living facilities, and large group homes for older adults included masks, gloves, gowns and face shields.
One of the donations was to Althea Woodland nursing home in Silver Spring. This facility received a shipment which included 200 surgical masks, 120 N95 masks, 96 face shields, and other protective equipment.
The American Chinese School of Rockville has also contributed to the effort to keep front line responders safe. The school gave 6,000 gloves and 5,000 surgical masks to the County.
Any individual, business or organization with a supply of PPE is encouraged to donate. DONATE.
- The Montgomery County Department of Health and Human Services, Services to End and Prevent Homelessness and other community partners are looking for vacant housing units to match with people looking for permanent housing. Amidst this public health emergency, it’s even more critical to ensure that everyone has access to safe housing. The County has set the goal of housing at least 75 households by the end of May.The County will provide inspections, coordinate completion of the application, and assist with the security deposit, first month’s rent and monthly housing subsidy, where applicable. The County also will provide small grants to properties, as eligible, when a unit is vacated, to cover costs of damages and overdue rent.Housing is needed throughout the County, from efficiencies to three or more bedrooms. Locations with access to major bus routes and/or Metro are preferred. A survey has been created for property owners interested in participating in the Housing 4 All program. Once completed, a housing specialist will follow-up with survey respondents within 48 hours. Fill out the Survey.
- Virginia Secretary of Commerce and Trade, Brian Ball, has posted new updates on the resources and information for Virginia businesses in relation to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak on the Virginia COVID-19 Resources for Businesses
- Employee Retention Payroll Tax Credit Under the CARES ACT: Who is Eligible and How it Works. The Employee Retention Credit is a fully-refundable tax credit for employers equal to 50 percent of qualified wages (including allocable qualified health plan expenses) that Eligible Employers pay their employees.
- SCORE Washington DC has announced their latest webinar offerings:
- May 6 | 12:00pm Managing Your Business Remotely in Times of Uncertainty
- May 7 | 2:00pm Navigating Long-Term Uncertainty and the Aftermath of Disruption
- May 12 | 2:00pm The 4 Key Things Business Owners Should Be Focused on Right Now
- May 14 | 12:00pm Closing Your Business – A Managed Approach
Partner Organization Offerings
- Sanctioned Radicals: A Comparative Study of Collective Organizing Around Race Versus Gender Inside of Organizations. Thursday April 30 | 11:45am – 1:00pm | Presented by WAPP with the Harvard Business School. In this seminar, Lumumba Seegars explores how the dynamics of formal organizing around race and gender inside of organizations contributes to the contestation and reproduction of both racial and gender inequality. Register.
- GWBC® is working hard to provide essential information for our WBEs. Below you will find information and registration links for our upcoming programming:
- Maintaining The Health of Your Business – This weekly webinar series airs every Thursday @ 3pm on Microsoft Teams. It’s designed to provide the important information that business owners need. Next week, we will be discussing What Small Business Owners Need To Know About PPP Loans and New SBA Rules. Mike Gorby and Mary Donne Peters of Gorby Peters Law will be our hosts along with President Roz Lewis REGISTER
- Mornings With GWBC – GWBC® is premiering our new weekly morning show on Monday mornings starting on Monday, May 4th @ 10am. The 30-minute show will have “up close and personal” conversations with corporate and WBE leadership, relevant business resources to grow women businesses, top ten Countdown of educational tools and resources, GWBC® 20th anniversary trivia, give-a-way prizes (Must be present to win), and more! Our first guest will be Terrez M. Thompson of The Coca-Cola Company. REGISTER
- In The Room With Roz – Join GWBC® President Roz Lewis on Facebook Live as she does weekly dive in of current events and information that caters to both WBEs and corporate members. Hosted every Tuesday morning at 10am. Use the link to join: https://www.facebook.com/GWBCLive
Regional Partner Organization Offerings
- Introducing Empower U: Women in Business Live Webinars by WBEC Pacific—keeping you informed about the hottest business topics while staying connected to our community of women’s business owners and entrepreneurs. Join us every week for an hour of empowering conversations:
A powerful line-up of thought leaders and industry experts presenting important topics for business owners and entrepreneurs
Up-to-date information on current programs, resources, and opportunities for women-owned and small businesses
A new presentation each week, followed by Question and Answer, and open conversation
Wednesdays at 1 pm. Registration is free. Register here.
- WBE Alpha Graphics, Inc. is producing adhesive, customizable floor graphics that can be used as guides for social distancing. Learn more here.
- Emerging from a Crisis with a Communications Plan – What do we do, as PR and communications professionals, when it’s time to “go back to normal”? We asked a panel of experts to share their insight around the topic of re-entry.
- Best practices for preparing your earnings release during Covid-19 – The guide provides you with a checklist to help you successfully prepare your earnings release during the COVID-19 crisis while ensuring a smooth submission and distribution process.
- Time to Master Your Certification and Grow Your Business. Becoming a certified minority-, LGBT-, veteran-, women-owned business could grow your business with federal, state, and local government as well as the Fortune 1000. Diversity Masterminds is an 8-week course to master your certification and grow your business. Join other diverse business owners to get a roadmap and tools to get on the right track to win bigger clients.
- The 2019 State of Women-Owned Businesses Report from American Express provides stakeholders in the women’s enterprise development community – media, funders, entrepreneurial support organizations, elected officials, suppliers and customers, and women entrepreneurs themselves – with information and intelligence that can inform practices, policies and advocacy efforts that encourage successful business outcomes.