WOSB is the Women Owned Small Business program that is run by the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA). This program is one way the U.S. federal government gives contracting support to women owned small businesses that hope to compete successfully in the public sector.
The SBA has approved WBENC as a Third Party Certifier for WOSB certification as part of the SBA’s WOSB Federal Contracting Program, at no additional cost to you.
- WBENC can only process your WOSB application if you are WBENC certified, or applying for WBENC certification.
- Additionally, WBENC does not support Economically Disadvantaged Women Owned Small Business (EDWOSB) industries and only supports selected WOSB industries.
To be eligible for WOSB a company must be:
- At least 51% directly owned and controlled by one or more women who are U.S. citizens
- Women owners must work full time during normal hours for the industry
- “Small” in accordance with the SBA’s size standards for that industry
- To see if your company complies with the SBA’s size standards, please see the SBA Table of Small Business Size Standards Matched to North American Industry Classification System Codes
- In an industry eligible for the program as determined by the NAICS code
- For more information on North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) codes view the U.S. Census Bureau’s webpage
Please review the SBA’s Compliance Guide for the WOSB Program for more detailed information.
How do I apply for WOSB through WPEO?
Note: WPEO can only support a selection of industries that are eligible for WOSB
- Find out if you are eligible to apply through WPEO on the SBA Table of Small Business Size Standards Matched to North American Industry Classification System Codes
- If you are eligible, login to your WBENCLink profile.
- On the left-hand side menu click “WOSB Application.” When finished be sure to click “Submit.”
- Register your company in System for Award Management (SAM) as WOSB
- Send the following to WPEO:
- WOSB Application Summary View from WBENCLink
- Proof of “Active” status on SAM. “Submitted” status will not be accepted
- One of the following:
- IRS Form 941 for the last 4 quarters
- W-3 for prior year
- OR if you cannot provide the above options, then please provide a current list of employees
For more detailed information please view WBENC’s WOSB Certification Process Page: http://www.wbenc.org/get-wosb-certified
After the application for WOSB has been sent
After WPEO has processed and granted your WBENC certification, WPEO will then process your WOSB application (in the next 30 days) and you will receive an email from WBENCLink detailing next steps.
If WOSB certification is granted, applicants must complete additional steps required by the United States SBA to be eligible to participate in the WOSB Federal Contracting program:
- Represent status in System for Award Management (SAM) as WOSB
- Log into the United States SBA’s General Login System (GLS)
- Create an account
- Access the WOSB Repository (through GLS)
Additional resources to help navigate the SBA or for business support
Small Business Administration District Offices
Find your local office at: http://www.sba.gov/about-offices-list/2
Women’s Business Centers
Find your local center at: http://www.sba.gov/content/womens-business-centers
Small Business Development Centers
Find your local center at: http://www.asbdc-us.org/
Procurement Technical Assistance Centers
Find your local center at: http://www.aptac-us.org/new/